Re: [TenTec] RF Ground

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Ground
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:08:16 -0700
Re: the tower 350 ft from the house. I would bond the ground rods at the
tower to the service entrance ground. I would bond the coax to the
ground rods at the base of the tower, put a big ferrite choke on the
coax at the base of the tower (between the shack and the ground point),
and another before it comes into the shack. I would also have a bond
between the shack and the service entrance. . I would also have
Polyphasers on each coax at the shack to protect the front ends of the
radios.

What this does is start with everything at the same DC potential, and
keep it there when voltage gradually builds in a storm. In the case of a
strike, the ground electrodes are all tied together, but with
considerable inductance between the tower and the house. The chokes
minimize the voltage and current that goes to the shack for strikes of
moderate size. In the case of a strike, the inductance will cause some
gradient between the tower and the house, but the current that equalizes
that gradient is far less likely to go through your ham shack

And, your installation meets NEC, which could be an issue if you have
real damage.

73,

Jim Brown