Re: [TenTec] RF Ground

To: <Gary@doctorgary.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Ground
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 09:23:14 -0500
Gary:

Here's what Jerry had to say and I agree:

quote:

If you really want lightning and RF grounding, those ground sources need
to be connected together with wide  copper strap. 18" is a nice width.
Otherwise the inductance is too much to be totally effective.

73, Jerry, K0CQ
end quote:

The 18" copper strap that Jerry suggests would be nice but would also be a
nice investment today.

In my case I use a piece of 1/2" copper refrigeration tubing to connect/bond
[actually via CAD WELD} all of my driven grounds.   There's 3 at the base of
the tower in a ring and 1 at each corner of the house.  The house has a
series of lightning rods across the top.  All of these points are connected
together.  Also, the mast out the top of the tower has 2 bonding flexible
straps between the mast and the tower sleeve.  This assures that the mast is
bonded to the tower and the path is not through my rotor.

Yes, in your case, the path between your service ground and your antenna
ground is through your station equipment via the coax.  Not good!

73
Bob, K4TAX

 .