Re: [TenTec] RF Ground

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Ground
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 08:59:58 -0700
Gary Smith wrote:
> I would need 400' of copper pipe or the 18" wide of copper plate to
> run from the ground rods at the base of the Inv-L to the service
> entrance and I'm not going to do that. The cost is not realistic and
> the salty environment would corrode the copper in no time.

It is a mistake to think "all or nothing" with respect to the 18-inch
copper or copper pipe. Nothing wrong with those recommendations, but
something like #10 or #6 copper is FAR better than NOTHING between two
points that should definitely be bonded. #10 copper can be had at Home
Depot and Lowe's at reasonable prices.
> I will though look into the Polyphasers and can you suggest a model
> number of ferrite for the coax? I'd be happy to add that to what I
> have.

I already have. Download and study the tutorial.
> My habit is to disconnect coax when I leave the house. I was a novice
> in 79 and just bought a brand new Kenwood for my first radio. My
> college allowed me to string up a center fed zepp between the tops of
> two dorms. I left it connected when I went to class, it got hit and
> my top of the line radio that was all of two weeks old was fried when
> I came back. Lesson learned to disconnect.
Many authorities consider that a half-way measure that can still cause
problems. In the case of a strike, there will be massive voltages on
that disconnected wire, which can arc to something and start a fire.
Better to ground it properly.  W8JI is quite adamant about this, and I
can't find any fault with his logic.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC