Re: [TenTec] Need help with corsair ii

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Need help with corsair ii
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 21:28:31 -0400
Golly Barry. Why a MIXER? Why not just a system of cable and switches to route audio from hither to yon. What does the MIXER function do for you that switches cannot?

        This is a serious question for me.  I am not
        just sparring or looking for an argument.

I really want one,  by wife My wife keeps asking the
ULTIMATE FATEFUL QUESTION:

        "What will it do that you cannot do already?"

And I am desperate to have a cogent answer, partly because I am a gadget guy, like so many of us, and I desperately want one - and have never been able to justify it on functional grounds!

I now use a couple of $10, 4-way AV switches to select various inputs for computer recording and other purposes. I have a home brewed SO2R switch for sharing mic/PTT/phones/ampkey/speaker devices between two radios I constructed out of an old 2-way parallel port A/B switch. I also use a Timewave DSP599zx, but it has its own dual channel inputs.

SO WHY A MIXER? Why not enough input selection switches for the various devices? With my switches, I can route all radio output to both computer sound card and DSP filter.

Again, this is a serious question I have been pondering for quite some time.

Happy trails.