Re: [TenTec] RX366

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RX366
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 09:01:40 +0200
James,

If we were speaking about radios in general, and all radios ever built, then
your statement would be technically correct.
But since we are listing radios here which are touted to be among the top
amateur transceivers available, then it basically all boils down to weak
signal performance in the presence of many strong signals on neighboring
channels.  NO receiver with upward conversion is in the league here with the
good radios with downward conversion. There will be a least 10 to 15 dB
difference.

An upward conversion loses out EVERY TIME because it is not possible to
build Xtal filters on the high IF frequencies with attenuation slopes as
steep as you can with filters on much lower frequencies.  It has to do with
the fractional bandwidth of the filter.

Therefore I state once again that the downward conversion gives superior
performance on the ham bands, by (in general) 15dB or better.

NOW I DID MAKE ONE MISTAKE:
I put the FT-3000 in the class with upward conversion second receivers.
Well it does not even have a second RX.  It only has one.  My mistake.  So
it belongs in the group just below, with all the Icoms.  However what it
does have is inferior performance like most rigs with upward conversion.  So
this shows that your statement is also partly correct, but not in a positive
way.  If you don't get all your ducks lined up properly, even a radio with
downward conversion will  not be a top performer, despite its "Heritage"
(hi).  In the case of the FT-3000, it is the cheap, noisy synthesizer that
degrades performance.

FINALLY, the Orion's second receiver has already been indirectly compared to
the RX366.  Long ago Rob Sherwood compared the performance of the Orion's
second RX to its first RX.  We'll have to look back in some old files to
find the exact numbers, but the first RX was significantly better.  If I
recall correctly, about 15dB better BDR3 with close spacing.
Since the RX366'sis roughly the same as the Orion's first RX, then it is
clear that it is also significantly better on the ham bands than the
original 2nd RX in the Orion.

73
Rick, DJ0IP