Re: [TenTec] RX366

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RX366
From: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 23:12:30 +0000
On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM, John Rippey <w3uls73@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nevertheless, an
> occasional recognition by such posters of the extreme rarity of the
> conditions being discussed, and radios being judged, would not be out of
> order, it would seem.

Rare?  It depends on your operating style and how you use the subreceiver.

I ran up against the limitations of the Orion subrx almost on a daily
basis.  In recent years, I was a topband enthusiast.  I was one of the
first Orion users to regularly use diversity reception on 160M.  When
strong east coast stations (such as AA1K) called CQ, I heard spurious
phantom signals displaced by multiples of 2.5KHz from their
fundamentals in the subreceiver.  It was not a subtle phenomenon and
it was easily duplicated as long as you had an s9+ signal.  The
problem/limitation was confirmed by other Orion users, including
VE7TK, who worked with me to characterize the problem for Ten-Tec.  To
their credit, Ten-Tec acknowledged the issue and eventually responded
in a BIG way with the RX-366.  If you encounter an s9+20dB or stronger
signal, the original subrx is going to generate internal spurious
signals.  I know that if you're on cw and the noise level is
relatively low, they will be clearly audible.

73, Barry N1EU