Re: [TenTec] RX366

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RX366
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 01:13:32 +0200
John, I endorsed every word of your post until the last sentence.  Then the
alarms went off.

Rob clearly emphasizes in his presentations that many things contribute to
making a good receiver and not to only judge a radio by its position on the
list, but to call it an "extreme rarity" is just as wrong as using the list
to judge by.

Fundamentally it gets down to a couple of things, like which side of the
pond do you live on, and if you care whether you might be the 5th guy or
155th guy to work a DX station.

Rob also says something in all of his presentations which isn't apparent
from looking at lists, but it is very important.
You don't have to have the best radio on the list, your radio just has to be
"good enough."
Then he explains how much is good enough for CW and SSB (there is a
difference).
As long as a radio is "good enough", then your statement was 100% true.
However it is a pity how many radios are being sold today that simply are
not good enough.

So although you are very correct in the spirit in which you wrote your post,
there are many transceivers which are so crappy that one should simply avoid
them if he has any competitive interest at all.  In the past, this was the
majority of the rigs. (seriously)/  In the meantime it is only about half of
them.  And one HUGE indicator is whether the rig has upward or downward
conversion.

BTW, none of current Ten-Tec rigs were ever on the list of rigs to avoid.

73
Rick, DJ0IP