Re: [TenTec] VFO Stabilizer question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] VFO Stabilizer question
From: Al Gulseth <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 12:19:35 -0500
John,

Is the VFO stabilizer a frequency reference/PLL based system or is it a
temperature compensation type unit? I'd have to dig it out but I recall
seeing a system (possibly in ARRL Solid State Design?) which used a couple of
thermistors in a bridge circuit to drive a tuning diode and compensate for
VFO/PTO drift that way. That type of compensation shouldn't cause a problem
with an offset or RIT.

If it's the former, you might take a look at the schematics for the 555 Scout
for ideas because I think it used a frequency reference/PLL type of system to
control the drift of the PTO.

73, Al