Re: [TenTec] Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 22:04:39 +0100
Jim, you brought up a little known but very important point on the K3.
You said you listen 99.9% of the time with headphones.
I don't.  Well I do in contests but only in contests.
Otherwise I'm always listening on an external loudspeaker.

Guess what?
The K3 audio distortion problem was IMPEDANCE DEPENDANT.
If you use headphones with 64 Ohms or more, you won't notice any distortion.
If you use a speaker with 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms, you notice a lot of distortion.

Therefore it is possible that many people found no problem with it while
many others had great trouble with it.
Case solved!
Source:  same as always, Rob Sherwood.  He found this problem.

The problem was improved (I thought about 5 or 6 years ago, I don't think it
was 8).
But it was only really fixed with the K3S.

However to be fair, after the fix 6 years ago, it was good enough for most
of us.

I liked my K3 a lot, but loved the Eagle a tiny bit more.
Love is an emotion, not a technology.

As Rob says, the NUMBER ONE reason to buy any radio is, you have to enjoy
using the radio.
This is an emotional reason, not a technical reason.

In the past, if there had been no Eagle, I would have been using a K3.
Now I would probably go with a TS-590SG.
Reason:  My career as competitive contester is over.
I will never win another contest, and the Kenwood costs only half as much.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)