Re: [TenTec] Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu
From: Darrell Bellerive VE7IU <ve7iu@runbox.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 07:57:46 -0800
There are so many things to consider when one chooses a radio. I went through this recently. In my case I wanted the brand, form factor, and ergonomics of the Kenwood TS-590S, the continued development and support of the Elecraft K3, and the quiet receiver, great noise blanker, and DSP filtering of the Ten-Tec Eagle.

I did NOT want the complexity and poor audio of the K3, or the lack of support and possible ALC and power issues of the TS-590S, or the ergonomics of the Eagle.

Yaesu and Icom have great feature sets, but did not impress me in the performance and audio quality department.

I also preferred something with a cleaner transmitter, but that was secondary to receive performance and audio quality.

In the end, I choose the Eagle.

Now that the K3S and TS-590SG are out, I find myself following discussions on those radios again, but will keep the Eagle and see what Ten-Tec and possibly Heathkit will do in the future. OTOH, if I win the lottery, I will buy a number of radios that very day. :-)

For me, my perception of performance won out over features, support, ergonomics, and brand.

73, Darrell VE7IU