[Towertalk] Guy Grip Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guy Grip Question
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:13:37 EDT
ackster@pcsonline.com writes:

> I am fairly new to this tower stuff, and am installing my first set of
>  guy wires.  We purchased some guy grips to terminate our guys at the
>  top and bottom of the tower instead of using the clamps.
>
>  How does one install these?  It looks like we just wrap them around
>  the guy wire.  But, do we loop the guy around the thimble first or
>  does the guy wire stay straight and we just have the grip looped around
>  the thimble.  Any web sites with pictures or drawing would be great.

    There are two Preformed grip ends - a long one and a short one. Start one
of them around the guy wire for about 3-4 wraps. The end of the guy wire
should just stick out into the termination loop.

    Put the thimble in the termination loop at this time. Now take the second
leg and put it across the first one so that the two crossover marks match.
Use the two closest to the termination loop except if you're putting it
around insulators - then use the second set of marks.

    Wrap the second leg around the guy wire. You want to finish the short leg
first so concentrate on that one; it'll go on nice and easy by twisting the
leg. The long leg will wrap easily just about to the end. If you can't get
the end of the strands to go around by using your fingers (bending the guy
wire helps), gently use a screwdriver to get the ends to wrap.

    The factory would like you to put a tie wrap around the end to keep the
strands from unravelling. I've never encountered that situation but it is
probably due to ice or something else fairly uncommon.

    They're quick - they're easy - aren't you glad you're using them?

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs

PS - I couldn't get to the Preformed Line Products (PLP) website so don't
know what additional info they might offer.