[Towertalk] Guy Grip Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guy Grip Question
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:51:53 -0400
>Stan wrote:

>I specfically remember reading in the Official Rohn Book that
>when you use guy grips, you MUST always use end sleeves (NOT tie wraps) with
>them.  They don't say why but if you can install a guy grip with your hands
>and nothing more than a screw driver, then it stands to reason that you (or
>any kid or vandal) can remove one the same way.  If any guy grips are
>accessable from the ground, I would strongly recommend installing end
>sleeves to discourage, or at least slow down, a vandal or an irrate
>neighbor.  See page HA101 in your Rohn Book for installation procedure.

Rohn isn't necessarily the last word on guy grips, of course, not like
PLP.  However, I was told (with straight face, I think), that water sliding
down guy wires and freezing inside the ends of guy grips could cause them
to unravel gradually.  I drove what are locally called "ice sleeves" on all
my upward-facing grips with a hammer and vise grips, and there they've
stayed.  I didn't think about the vandalism case then, but am doubly glad I
did it now.