[Towertalk] Guy Grip Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guy Grip Question
From: wy6k@yahoo.com (WYsixK)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 22:25:07 -0700 (PDT)
On sailboats we use giant cable cutters - NOT bolt cutters.  The shears
overlap on bolt cutters and for cable you need shears that come
together flush.  When dismasted it is critical to be able to cut the
rigging quickly and jettison it before the mess of tangled rigging,
sails, mast, and boom causes you to lose control of the boat.  No
serious offshore cruiser would be caught without cable cutters
(although a bunch of 'em have bolt cutters and are in for a terrible
surprise).  I bought one pair at West Marine and another I found in a
tool store.  The ones I have are about 2.5 feet long with a rachet and
make short work of 3/4" stainless cable.