Re: [TowerTalk] grounding

To: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:50:58 -0800
At 11:14 PM 1/23/2004 +0000, Rob Atkinson, K5UJ wrote:
<<<But then, you may see oxidation starting to build up in the joint and possibly rendering the connection useless (meaning high resistance). >>>

I have had copper wire antennas soldered and exposed with no trouble for years.

<<<If Cadwelding is the way to go, then why not just go there. Cadweld "Oneshots" by Erico can be purchased for around $5 -6 each if purchased in box quantities from an electrical supply house and Harger sells "Unishots" by the each for around $7 - 8.>>>

I love it when you guys talk about cadwelding as if I can just go get one out of a coke machine with complete instructions and use it as intuitively and easily as falling off a log.

Harger catalog web site: http://www.harger.com/exothermicconnections.htm
You'll need to figure out what sort of mechanical configuration you have (there's zillions of possibilities, depending on size and number of conductors, etc.)

Unishots come in boxes of 12. (instructions come in the box)

Pictorial instructions can be found at the link "Ultraweld process" on the left.

Cadweld is going to be pretty expensive unless you're doing a lot of shots (the molds are pretty expensive. Although, There are the "oneshots" from Cadweld (GR1-161V, for instance)

Cadweld stuff is at http://www.erico.com/ you'll have to navigate through the active server pages..

http://services.erico.com/products/Cadweld.asp might work.

http://services.erico.com/public/library/fep/a9e.pdf is a fairly complete discussion of the use.

Possible sources