RE: [TowerTalk] Grounding control cable/Rotator control box

To: "'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Grounding control cable/Rotator control box
From: "Noel" <yaesurig@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:14:15 -0600
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my query about grounding my
control cable/rotator control unit.  But at the risk of sounding
unappreciative of all the good advice I've gotten here on Towertalk. I
feel it necessary to mention my dislike with what seems like constant
pushing of one device or another when someone asks for information.

Based on the responses it would appear that some don't even read the
message and assume you're looking to purchase whatever they happen to be
peddling. I'm really not interested in purchasing a polyphazer or
monophazer or whatever other device.  If I were I'd ask for it.  It's
great when people tell you what works for them under like circumstances.
But too often it seems the responses are geared toward selling you this
or that, even when it may not be what you're looking for.

I use towertalk for information from other hams regarding all things
tower related.  I know some on here will have interests in commercial
products and so it may be natural to lean towards their products.  But,
personally I'm not interested in the subtle solicitations to purchase
your products.  I know some will be offended by that but someone had to
say it.

That said.  My tower is grounded with three #2 stranded copper wires
from each leg each going to three 8ft copper ground rods spaced 16ft
apart.  Thanks especially to Roger Halstead's great website on how he
did his.  Anyway, each rod/wire point is exothermically welded using
Caldweld oneshots.  The shields of the two coax cables going up the
tower are each grounded at the base of the tower.  At the shack
entrance, I've built my own single point ground where my station
equipment is grounded to other ground rods just outside.    My coax
cables all connect to a grounded antenna switch, also goes to the SPG,
so if I disconnect the radio side of the switch my radios are isolated
from static or possible lightening strike. This method still leaves the
coax going to the antennas grounded. So I'm not worried about my coax or
antenna ground.

What is NOT grounded is the control cable going up the tower and neither
is the control unit itself, a Yaesu G-450XL, since it does not seem to
have a ground lug for this purpose.  The control cable is a shielded six
pair cable.  I use two conductors for each rotator connection. And I've
grounded the shield of the control cable also at the base of the tower,
but not the conductors themselves.  This is my problem at the moment. As
the control cable conductors build up static as they have no path to
ground and go directly to the rotator control box.   Anyone familiar
with how to resolve this I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks
Noel