Re: [TowerTalk] Flexible coupler assembly

To: "'Chuck Lewis'" <clewis@knology.net>, <towerTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Flexible coupler assembly
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:30:26 -0500

Hi Chuck,

Yes I understand how the force is spread over time with the absorber. My
question is more concerned with how it will affect the forces when
oscillations are present.
We know that energy can not be created or destroyed it can only be stored.
So most of the energy that is absorbed by the donut will be given up in the
opposite direction to cause the antenna to rotate backwards from its initial
direction from when a wind gust moves it.
As it moves backwards the energy that was absorbed by the donut and the
energy absorbed by the mast and antenna itself will all add together to turn
the antenna in the opposite direction of the original rotation. If another
wind gust in the opposite direction, or on another vector from the first,
happens while things are unwinding the stored energy will add to the wind
gust energy and speed up the antenna rotation more than the wind alone would
and cause greater stress on the rotator than if the donut were not there.
The antenna would have a chance to move further with the donut than without
it. The antenna has a chance to pick up more momentum with the donut than
without it.
I know, energy can not be destroyed or created but it can be stored and
released at different times and if that release time coincides with a wind
gust then peak loads may be increased. I am not saying the donut is not a
good thing just some things to think about.

Another thought on the subject: It may be more convenient to mount the shock
absorber under the rotor between the tower and rotor.

73
Gary K4FMX