[TowerTalk] Low Loss 400, You get what you pay for

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Low Loss 400, You get what you pay for
From: "Steve Davis -Davis RF Co." <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 01:39:22 -0400
Hi Alfredo,

Times Microwave LMR 400 has been around for many years (at least 30 that I
can remember).  It is a fine cable, made in USA (some China production now
but Times indicates that is not for US sales).  Given the reputation of
LMR-400, and major use by the government, US and other military, and many
other highly reputable entities, the LMR Line ("Land Mobile Radio") has been
imitated, knocked off, by a bunch of other companies. The formidable mfr's
of these knock offs are Harbor Industries, ComScope, Andrew .  There are
several or more lesser mfr's.
You don't say who is selling the "Low Loss 400", but I can think of several
"lesser controlled quality" and/or gas injected mfr's who don't come to my
standard for their dielectrics which have to be close to 85% Velocity Factor
to achieve similar attenuation characteristics as Times LMR 400 (or their
other sizes-the largers having even higher VP).   Lastly, I am a firm
believer in "you get what you pay for" and I have seen some pitifully low
priced knock offs, that I wouldn't even bother testing.

You also mention that what you are referring to has "the same spec's as LMR
400".  This brings me back to the  reality question vs. price;  who is
making it, and their credibility.

  Having said all that, and keeping in mind that if you've spent
appreciable/lot of money on your most important aspect, the antenna, and
likely a decent/lot for your transceiver, why screw around with what is
connecting the two by "buying cheap".

   So, how do we figure out which of the knock offs might do the trick,
particularly at HF where losses on decent low loss coax is ALMOST  a
non-issue at less than 150 or so ft.??? (a very subjective "almost",
depending on how many tenths of a dB the user has as his performance needs
in order to sleep well).
   Looking at LMR 400 knock offs:   The first question to ask is whether it
is made in USA.  Then by whom (if they will tell you), then be sure they are
willing to  give you a full spec.   Then , based on their reaction to
any/all of those criteria,  judge who you are dealing with.   Stay away from
aluminum ctr. conductor and/or outer shield aluminum... mainly because the
connectors have to be different than all other copper mating types and they
are a bit more involved to assure proper mechanical installation thus
conversely the electrical  aspects.
   IMHO, the best is Times LMR  Tm whether it be used at HF or not.  If
going > HF, definitely Times and it is much more available than CommScope,
usually a good mfr.

   And I know the best place to get LMR-400 at likely the lowest price, and
immediate delivery.... and I am unbiased, other than my financial interest,
and livelihood, etc. depends on :    DAVIS  RF Co.      HI

   Feel free to contact me if any questions.

But, as most people who know me, whatever we sell, quality is the first
consideration.
Cheers, 73,
    Steve ,  K1PEK,
DAVIS RF Co.,  Div. of Orion Wire Co., Inc.

Wire, Cable, RF Connectors and wire aerial parts.   LMR, Heliax, Eupen

Commercial / Military / & Custom Cable Design

tel:  978-369-1738     Fax:  978-369-3484
www.DavisRF.com

Message: 4