Re: [TowerTalk] Effect of element shape was: Re: InnovAntennas contact i

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Effect of element shape was: Re: InnovAntennas contact info
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:32:01 -0400

> But given current distribution on a dipole, isn't it generally
> understood that drooping ends have relatively little effect?

"Drooping" ends result in a small amount of vertically polarized
radiation.  Horizontally folded (or bent) elements result in some
degree of radiation at 90 degrees (think crossed dipoles) to the main lobe. Since the side lobe structure in a yagi (or phased arrays -
consider what broadcast stations sometimes need to do to "detune"
nearby structures) is very sensitive, even a small amount of "off
axis" radiation can make a significant difference.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV