Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up base

To: towertalk@contesting.com, nf4l@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up base
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 12:38:51 -0400 (EDT)
>  The engineer didn't want to do a formal analysis, and  there is no
permit involved. Undisturbed soil is what I'd heard, but the HyGain  book
doesn't
mention it. I have no idea how old it is.

    Since way back then (70's? 80's?), the  TIA-222 has been written and
revised several times. It is the industry standard  for tower installations.

>  Still in Duval, so care is certainly advised. What that  means in terms
of real life shovel-in-the-ground practice, I'm  unsure.

    Sounds like your engineer wasn't real  helpful. If you're going to do
it all yourself, contact a local excavator and  ask their advice, especially
for your sandy environment. In this case  over-engineering mostly means a
bigger base since you don't have any control of  what's above it. There is a
chance that a tower with a base in sand will start  to lean away from the
prevalent wind direction over time, being pushed by the  wind. A bigger base
will minimize this. A single guy to the top of the bottom  section in the
direction of the prevailing wind will help too.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs