Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up base

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up base
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 00:37:07 -0400
On 5/1/2014 4:03 PM, Kimberly Elmore wrote:
I did exactly this with a base for my Rohn HDBX48 tower. The plywood will slowly
decompose and as it does, soil will filter in to take its place. For all practical
purposes, it all remains "undisturbed." What the tower engineers do not want is
for the base to be sunk into fill dirt -- that won't be stable and you will likely have
stability problems (the base may wobble with time such that your tower is no longer
vertical).

Partially decomposed plywood is like grease.

73

Roger (K8RI)

With sandy soil and high water table, you risk having the hole walls collapse into the
hole, which changes lots of stuff you don't want changed and violates the
"undisturbed soil" requirement.

Kim N5OP