Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up base

To: Mike Reublin NF4L <nf4l@comcast.net>, towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up base
From: Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 13:03:48 -0700 (PDT)
I did exactly this with a base for my Rohn HDBX48 tower. The plywood will
slowly decompose and as it does, soil will filter in to take its place. For all
practical purposes, it all remains "undisturbed." What the tower engineers do
not want is for the base to be sunk into fill dirt -- that won't be stable and
you will likely have stability problems (the base may wobble with time such
that your tower is no longer vertical).

With sandy soil and high water table, you risk having the hole walls collapse
into the hole, which changes lots of stuff you don't want changed and violates
the "undisturbed soil" requirement.

Kim N5OP