Re: [TowerTalk] ROHN TOWER BOLTS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ROHN TOWER BOLTS
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 17:56:34 -0400
On 5/7/2014 3:46 PM, Tom Nicholson wrote:
Just my 2 pennies here, but I'm going to be using SS hardware but I'll be using SS Nyloc Nuts. Also if using SS, be sure to use never seize compound, if you don't, the nuts will almost for sure seize up if you try to remove at a latter date. Lesson "hard learned" with SS bumper bolts on my Hot Rod!!!

NOTE: ROHN tower kits contain:
ROHN 25 and 45G use galvanized bolts, nuts, and washers with a galvanized spring lock washer on the "outside" of the nut.. These do not resemble normal lock washers. These are normally packed in the tower legs! So check to make sure nothing gets left in the legs

Galvanized bolts are normally ungraded. They are softer and less strong than grade 5, Because of the galvanizing the sizes are slightly different as well.

Although they won't rust, there is little reason for installing SS bolts and nuts. They are far stronger than needed so don't worry about strength, The bolts do hold in compression, but the main load is in shear, from, soft, thin, galvanized tube.

Use never seize with SS, but it will cause your torque readings to be off considerable, making it very easy to over tighten.

Use the ROHN Lock nuts/washers. The nuts will not come off, The lock nut is a nut that is stamped forming a shell. The thread grips only one thread on the bolt, forming a sort of spring loaded jam nut. Unlike the so called jam nuts, these are designed to be spring loaded against the working nut.

I should have some to photograph. (If I can find them)

73

Roger (K8RI)

Tom W1ALZ

<snip>