Re: [TowerTalk] Buring Bury-Flex

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buring Bury-Flex
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 13:19:49 -0400
Seems to me the wrong question has been created and answered.

Why bother gluing the joints? If you grease them liberally with silicone grease, or plain old Vaseline and the sections are under a bit of compression it'll work. For long runs sealing is a good idea because of expansion and contraction.

The conduit "DOESN'T LEAK"! (well, not usually<G>) Nor is there any guarantee it will fill with water BUT as temperature and air pressure change the conduit breathes with air coming in and going out. This causes condensation. The condensation IS LIKELY to eventually build up (collect) leaving liquid water in the conduit.

I have never had conduit fill with water in 30 plus years of running coax in conduit. I've had it get wet, but no standing water and I'm in Michigan where we get extreme changes in temperature and humidity. Condensation in the conduit ALL DEPENDS on local temperature, temperature changes, humidity, atmospheric pressure changes, how they interrelate, and how true the conduit runs. You may, or may not get water in the conduit. The ODDS are you will get SOME, but there is no guarantee.

I have to repeat " THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOU WILL OR WILL NOT" get water in the conduit from condensation. The safe rule is to treat it as if you are going to get it, but that assumption is for safety, not a guarantee.

Use good construction practices, with no coax splices, or junctions in the conduit if they can be avoided. Use new coax for new runs SOMETIMES budget constraints and other reasons dictate there will be splices in the conduit. In that case, make the splices as if they would be under water. Remember, Murphy's Law! (If something can go wrong, it will!) So plan accordingly! Always have a tag line/pull rope in the conduit. Use common sense and best construction practices. Trying to phrase this properly, and this in not the language I'd normally use, but there are those who should never be let near tools or construction and I think I've followed more than my share of them. Ah, I'm gonna say it anyway! There are those who could screw up a wet dream! Keep 'em away from tools and construction projects!...and other things!

73

Roger (K8RI)