Re: [TowerTalk] Buring Bury-Flex

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buring Bury-Flex
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 16:10:42 -0400
On 5/13/2014 12:52 PM, K0DAN wrote:
I've run LDF Heliax direct-buried numerous times, no problems after 20+ years. You don't want splices, and you don't want the connectors buried. If you are careful and don't damage the exterior coating, you will be fine. The stuff is extremely rugged, not sure it's specifically rated for direct burial but a lot of commercial 2-way shops have done just that over the years. That's been my experience anyway...YMMV.

7/8ths and up is fine. I've found the 1/2" too easy to kink even by stepping on it. What ever I lay our seems to get stepped on before burial, or I end up trying to make a large curve/loop with my hands at the end with the result being a kink in the middle. I gave away a couple lengths with connectors. I much prefer LMR600 compared to 1/2" Heliax. Of course I prefer 7/8ths Heliax to either except I never seem to be able to find it.

I learned the expensive way that the UF versions of the LMR series do not stand up well out in the weather. Naturally they were the 28' pigtails at the top of the tower after having purchased 600 feet of LMR-600UF That's now in the conduit where it's protected<sigh>

73

Roger (K8RI)

73
dan