Re: [TowerTalk] tower/rotator woes...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower/rotator woes...
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 11:30:29 -0500
Possible, but unlikely.

Even drastically overloaded with the large array I had up, in wind the Ham IVs would be unable to turn the array, but they never bound up. A few times, the antennas would rotate all the way to the stop with the motor unable to apply enough torque to stop the rotation, but again, they never bound up. The tail twister is just a beefed up version. With the brake released, I could apply enough force by hand to turn the mast. That was the number one reason I dislike rotators with wedge brakes with tiny motors (cheap) and a very high ratio spur gear train stamped from sheet metal. If the wind overpowered the motor, you didn't dare engage the brake without the danger of damage.

73, Roger (K8RI)