[VHFcontesting] REMINDER:CQWW VHF Contest and CU2QSO Pioneers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] REMINDER:CQWW VHF Contest and CU2QSO Pioneers
From: list@rwitte.com (Bob Witte)
Date: Wed Jul 23 21:52:45 2003
Tree wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 07:21:52PM -0600, Bob Witte wrote:
>
> > If you really want to get back to basics, no computers should be used at
> > all, right? Only submit written logs, perhaps on some form of parchment. :-)
>
> Well, yes - it could be taken to that extreme.
>
> However, I think the point I was trying to make was - that for many of us,
> the act of listening to the radio and decoding what information is there
> is more fun when the human does it - and not a computer.  This is where
> the "magic" of radio meets the road, and removing that component of the
> experience reduces the "fun" aspect of the experience to the point that it
> is no longer a desired pastime.
>
> Other advances (logging programs, fancy transceivers and CQ machines) do
> not intrude into that experience.

   That would be an opinion. And one that I mostly agree with.

   However, it always strikes me as odd that people involved in a technical
   hobby are so unnerved by new technology. It is sooooooo predictable...
   new technology comes along....The response is usually
   "That's against the rules!" Well, no its not, actually.
  "Well, then it should be. It is unethical, immoral, unwise, no fun ....and
   will destroy the hobby." Geesh.

   CU2QSO is just a beacon with a bit more information encoded into it.
   Not really any different than a voice keyer that says
   "CQ de Callsign at Grid Locator".

   73,
   Bob K0NR