Re: [VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports

To: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 09:47:24 -0500
On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 07:24:36AM -0400, Ev Tupis wrote:

> === Radio Contests Today ===
> Participants build their stations with some sense of secrecy so as to not
> allow some "competative advantage" slip out to the general public.

Really?  I must admit that I come from the HF contest world and
many of the top stations have web sites - that provide all sorts
of information about the station and it's design.  In addition
I have found that most if not all of the guys I know will
gladly tell you anything and everything about their station
and how it is setup etc.  I know I will and I have had these
sorts of exchanges with countless others over the years
either in private email, in the halls of Dayton, over the
air and on internet email reflectors such as this one.

>  No one knows how many people are participating, even through the
> course of the contest itself.

I usually have a pretty good idea who is doing what during
a contest - although I will agree that this is not as true
during a VHF contest since often you might not work or for
that matter even hear the stations that are competing against
you.  This is just a fact of VHF propagation and maybe that
is why there is more exchange among HF contesters than
VHF one - ie. the VHF contester can be quite isolated
by the nature of propagation.

> When it's all over, we are given 30-days to "audit our logs".

Are you trying to imply that people are cheating
during this period?

Could you explain this to us a bit more?

> The submission includes no information, other than "who" was
> contacted, "when" they were contacted and "on what frequency" they
> were contacted.

If you are getting at having open logs - I am all for it - I have
plans to post all of my logs to my web page.  It is just a matter of
time to do it for me.   Anyone that wants to see a K5TR log
just has to ask.

In addition I try to do write ups for the 3830 score rumor
email reflector that contains rate sheets, mult lists etc.
I find this information very interesting to read from others
and so I post it for all of my efforts.

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=K5TR&submit=Search%21&idxname=3830&max=20&result=normal&sort=score

As far as "trash-talking" during the event - geeeee... I don't know
what that would be worth - I usually spend my time in a contest
doing things that will benefit my score.  In some contests there is
quite a bit of 'trash-talking' before the events among some
competitors.  I can not say that I get into that much - it is
just not me but to each his own.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net