Re: Fwd: [VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: [VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:27:23 -0400
I would suggest that such a contest be kept near
real-time for all participants who are competing for
awards. As I suggested before I think that a once per
hour log submission requirement would be adequate.

Would someone explain to me how this would encourage the casual on
seldom contester to get on the air?

I think eventually that it will because it would be very fun to see your progress in the contest in relationship to everyone else, in real time. Of course, the trick would be to make the realtime "dashboard" fun. Make it fun and people will use it. If it isn't, people won't.

Remember the early days of video games? Back then, we'd battle robots on a screen. That was fun. We'd compare "high scores" to determine the better player.

Today, those robots are other players, and we can see how much "life" there is in our opponents because the game tells us, in real time.

Think about how cool it could be to add this real-time dimension to our radiosports (for those with the connection to the Internet, that is). Those without the connection can still compete as normal...submit a Cabrillo log after the event is all over. Nothing different for them.

Ev, W2EV