[VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports
From: "jon jones" <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 00:16:10 +0000
Ken is right that WRTC "real-time" scoring is a much different situation with referees on site at each WRTC station as opposed to "home stations linked to some central server via the Internet." I believe Ev's proposal could also exclude rovers, portables, DX stations and others who are not connected to the Internet while operating the contest.

Additionally as Ken notes

"Any real-time
system will have to address issues like whether the qso and mult totals
received for K5TR are really being sent by K5TR and not someone else.
Will it become fashionable to overstate your progress in the contest
to intimidate your opponents?  Will it become fashionable to understate
your progress in order to lull them into complacency?"

"Forming a small committee of Amateur radio young 'uns who also on-line game to provide input as to how on-line game sites deal with these issues would be in order." - W2EV

On-line PC gaming servers can be and are often "hacked." Players commonly use "cheats" to get the advantage while playing on-line games. In fact there is a program called "punk buster" used to combat cheats. This is a significant problem with on-line gaming and amateur radio contesting "on-line" would have to consider and address potential "cheats."

- Jon N0JK