Re: [VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports

To: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@worldpath.net>, Alex <kr1st@amsat.org>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports
From: w3sz <w3sz@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 21:12:25 -0400
Hi, Guys [and Gals]!

I just got back home from a day of the mundane [but still enjoyable] side of HR; making power cables, deciding where the computers will go, etc., and found this VERY interesting discussion.

Ev has the most incrediblly cool, 'out of the box' ideas. I wish I was as creative...

I never would have thought of a contest where one could go to a webpage and see where one stood.

My kids do all sorts of realtime roleplaying games on the internet, and so having a 'live' webpage that posted the scores realtime would certainly be doable.

One could think further out of the box and think of other 'outlandish' things like a random event generator that would trigger the webpage to announce that for the next 30 minutes all contacts on 6 meters would be triple score, or working W3IY/R on 50 thru 10G in the next hour would be quadruple points, etc...you would actually have to be aware of what was going on on the webpage, and modify your strategy and operating habits in realtime to get the maximal score. You could even have deductions; make 10 contacts on 6 in the next hour or lose 25 QSO points... ;)

It wouldn't be contesting as we know it, but it would be a real kick! And if it got some notice outside our ranks, it might be the thing that finally gets the Internet Generation [like my kids] interested in Ham Radio.

Thanks for another good one, Ev!!

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ