Re: [VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Sports vs. Radiosports
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:18:35 -0400
Ken is right that WRTC "real-time" scoring is a much different situation

I hope I haven't misstated something along the way. I used WRTC2002 simply as an example of "out of the box" thinking only.

The system that is being envisioned has participants logging-in and authenticating to a site that would handle all of the logging and dupe-checking for the contestant. There's nothing to misinterpret or mis-state.

I believe Ev's proposal could also exclude rovers, portables, DX stations and others who are not connected to the Internet while operating the contest.

Not at all. Participants could be "always connected" (real-time logging), "intermittantly connected" (batch-interactions periodically throughout the event) or e-submitted (just like logs are right now via emailing of Cabrillo logs, except with a compressed submittal timeframe).

On-line PC gaming servers can be and are often "hacked." Players commonly use "cheats" to get the advantage while playing on-line games. In fact there is a program called "punk buster" used to combat cheats. This is a significant problem with on-line gaming and amateur radio contesting "on-line" would have to consider and address potential "cheats."

The idea is to expose as many of the hacks or cheats as possible and build a system that is resistant to them...and provide a penalty that befits the crime, should it be committed and uncovered. No "deal killers" yet...but lots of useful discussion.

Ev, W2EV