[VHFcontesting] Packaging,Marketing and Amateur Radio [was: Sports vs. R

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Packaging,Marketing and Amateur Radio [was: Sports vs. Radiosports]
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:55:08 -0400
Would someone explain to me how this would encourage the casual on
seldom contester to get on the air?

I think eventually that it will because it would be very fun to see your progress in the contest in relationship to everyone else, in real time. Of course, the trick would be to make the realtime "dashboard" fun. Make it fun and people will use it. If it isn't, people won't.

This resonated with me recently. I had cable TV re-installed in the house out of sorrow for my family and their ability to stay entertained as I contested on the air (I'm in the process of upgrading the station for sit-and-go operation).

Who'd have thought that televised card games would be of any interest? I now notice that, with the correct "packaging and marketing" applied, Texas Hold'um is an exciting spectator sport. While this may come as no surprise to others who have been "cable enabled" for a while, I was astounded as to how well that marketing plan worked! I now understand all of those "Texas Hold'em" kits I see in the department stores.

Wouldn't it be something to see "Radiosport Kits" take their place someday? Of course not. It would be mayhem. The world would come to an end. There are lots of reasons to "not" do it. But just in case someone in a position of authority is listening...there *is* a way to make this happen. Formulating a business plan for such things is not the purpose of this list, so I won't bore anyone with one. Maybe it's time to have an Amateur Radio Summit where ideas like this can be presented before an audience of folks who can have a realistic chance to consider operationalizing something like this.

73 and out,
Ev Tupis, W2EV