Re: [VHFcontesting] Multi-op rovers

To: k1ep@mgef.org, VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Multi-op rovers
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:37:07 EDT

In a message dated 8/1/05 3:24:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, k1ep@mgef.org
writes:

Using  that philosophy, do you draw no distinction between a single op fixed
station  and a multi op fixed station?

With fixed stations nobody gets hurt, killed, or sued if the operator falls
asleep or pays too much attention to the radio. Certainly not a non-ham
minding  his own business driving down a public highway.

I suspect that any solo rover goes out knowing he is not going to beat a
good two man team, accepts that as a foregone result, and paces himself
accordingly to have fun and stay safe.  I am not sure that it would be true  if
a win
was in sight.

The rules can't stop a solo op from going out roving, including driving
while operating. But they should not let a deep-pocket-seeking lawyer blame it
on
a contest sponsor for encouraging someone to go out solo, by establishing a
category for doing exactly that.

73  -  Jim   K8MR