Re: [VHFcontesting] Multi-op rovers

To: KY1K <ky1k@pivot.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Multi-op rovers
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:33:52 -0700
> I used to belong to the YCCC (Yankee Clipper Contest Club). Before hanging
> those who participate in grid circling, you need to understand the
> mentality of a contester.

I think I do understand the mentality of a contester.

> Putting in your best score requires you to know the rules better than your
> opponent. In this way, you EXPLOIT weaknesses in the rules. If it don't say
> you can't do it, then you can do it. It's that simple, it's nothing more
> than common human behavior when placed in a competitive atmosphere.

Yup - which is why we need to change the rules.

> If THEY operate within the rules, then THEY shouldn't be chastised. Maybe
> someone within the ARRL is QRV on the list? Change the rules, don't hang
> the guys who are using them to the best advantage.

Sure - change the rules...  I think this type of operation should be
discouraged - as opposed to finding some class for it.

BTW - most of the people who have done this are good friends of mine,
and I used to room with one of them.  Recently, several "top notch"
contesters joined them.  They wanted to see what this type of operation
was like before it got reclassified.  It is an interesting exercise,
but I don't think any of them operators would try to say their operation
should compare to a real rover.

The health of our VHF contests is all of our concerns.  We should be
doing all we can to encourage people to get on and work guys.  When
they turn on their radio - hearing a rover or two is REALLY cool and
makes the event exciting.  This helps improve activity and make the
event fun for all that work them - not just a couple of their buddies.

The same arguement applies to the "captive rovers".

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net