Re: [VHFcontesting] "Captive Rover" talking point, debunked

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] "Captive Rover" talking point, debunked
From: "Eric Smith" <kb7dqh@donobi.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:44:05 -0700
The big problem with doing microwaves as a singleop rover
is the time demands placed on the operator.  This removes
available time from operations on lower bands where more
QSO's can be made, but with fewer points per QSO... but,
correspondingly, with longer distances and thus more
multipliers.

 During the recently completed 2005 ARRL UHF contest I
found I made many fewer contacts on 222 thru 1296 than were
possible because I spent so much time attempting and making
QSO's on the microwave bands.  Some of the operators on the
other end were experiencing technical difficulties, as was
I on some bands... I still took the time to talk the other
stations thru any difficulties they had, to get them on the
air and make that extra point... The problem I had on 2304
got fixed rather quickly when I discovered something
plugged into the wrong jack, but still made a 60+ mile QSO
on that band, transmitting on the RX MIXER, and LEAKAGE TO
THE ANTENNA!  Once I was actually switching the TX/RX on
the transverter, (and sending power thru the 20W brick)
things there worked much better.
Still had to remember to power up the 3456 amp... that one
does not leak much power thru... especially when driven
with one milliwatt to start with...

Anyway, getting the gear set up, pointed, running properly,
etc... eats up time.  I could have kept an additional two
or three ops busy on the lower bands while I was working
the microwave stuff... and activated more grids during the
allotted time, giving out more points to more operators...
but the rules limit the number of people I can have as part
of my rover station.

But, having microwaves as part of my rover setup still
means a bigger score, despite the multipliers lost on the
lower bands because I couldn't be at three operating
positions simultaneously.  I know there were QSO's I could
have made with stations participating in the contest that
did not happen because I was fiddling about with the
microwave gear.

Something to think about...
Eric
KB7DQH