Re: [VHFcontesting] Endorse Rover Rules Revisions EXCEPT the 30 Q Limit

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Endorse Rover Rules Revisions EXCEPT the 30 Q Limit
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:44:51 -0800 (PST)
Hi Mike,
To your point...

> If I were to leave say going north and run through the eastern
> side of one grid and come back on a different highway the
> following day, presuming a two day run, on the western side of
> the grid you could prevent me from making q's with people who
> could not have been on the air D1 or I missed entirely
> because they were on a different band or that extra 30 - 40
> miles made that big of a difference.

The underlying issue is that Rover-class participants are allowed liberties
that no other class of participant enjoys.  It is the depth of that disparity
that results in these endless "rover rules controversies".

Let's look at the contest from another participants perspective; using your
example, but swapping entry classes...

A fixed station happens to be on the eastern edge of a Grid-4.  They cannot
pick-up their station and move to the western edge in order to work stations
more easily there, though they are every bit as deserving, don't you think? ;)

Instead of bemoaning their lot, they employ other strategies such as using
higher power or better antenna, upgrading feed lines, installing a higher
antenna support, using a new mode (CW, anyone?), etc.

With the "three simple new rules" in place - Rovers, being a cleaver lot, will
find the best single location within a Grid-4, providing the best coverage
(against whatever trade-offs may be at play) and employ many of the same
strategies.

As an unintended benefit, Rover-class participants will be left with the same
"unlevel playing field" that everyone else has...allowing them to add their
voices to everyone elses gripes, on the e-mail lists. :)

Ev, W2EV