Re: [VHFcontesting] Endorse Rover Rules Revisions EXCEPT the 30 Q Limit

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Endorse Rover Rules Revisions EXCEPT the 30 Q Limit
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:16:31 -0800 (PST)
Hi Steve,
To your point...

> Your first proposed rule doesn't do anythi8ng to address
> the Lunchbox Brigade.  It would leave them totally unaffected and
> I'm not sure what the goal is with this.  So what if you start
> fresh at each new grid?

The point is actually quite straight forward, though I may have not been as
clear in making it as I'd hoped. It is this: The three simple rules that I
proposed will align the Rover category's incentives to those of all other
participants in an ARRL contest...leaving them with the same "un-level playing
field" that everyone else has.

This proposal is not a "silver bullet" to cure all of the ills of VHF
contesting.  It is simply a method of re-aligning the Rover class with everyone
else.

We'll still have "lunchbox", "captive" and "captivated" rovers.  We'll still
have multi-ops with a full library of 10-, 24-GHz "garage door opener
transceivers" and LASER pens to loan out to anyone who wants to stop by.  We'll
still have (fill in the blank).

What the proposal does, though...is *not* limit the number of rover-to-rover
QSO's, *allow* pack-roving and it *does* encourage rovers to establish stations
that can be heard by (and worked by) other classes of entrants.

Ev, W2EV