Re: [VHFcontesting] Endorse Rover Rules Revisions EXCEPT the 30 Q Limit

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Endorse Rover Rules Revisions EXCEPT the 30 Q Limit
From: "Shupienis, Joseph" <jshupienis@ccac.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:12:34 -0500
"You find the best location in a Grid-4 and operate.  When you're done...you're
done.  Move on to the best location in the next Grid-4 and operate there.
(uh-oh...one more rule needed: 3. Once operation begins from a given Grid-4,
the station may not move to another location within a Grid-4 for the duration
of the operation)." - W2EV

Ev --

Thanks for your input and thoughts. When we think, we all win!

With all due respect, please consider the situation I face when I try to make
FN01 available to "as many stations as possible:"

The two best locations are ridges which run parallel to each other a few miles
apart. From the eastern ridge, I can work stations to the east and south, but
most western stations are blocked by the western ridge. From the western ridge,
I can work far to the midwest and across Lakes Erie and Michigan to Ontario and
Chicago, as well as north to Rochester and Toronto... But not very far to the
southeast.

So, which group of "as many stations as possible" should I deliberately prevent
from getting the FN01 mult?

Also, wouldn't your new Rule #3 end up totally banning operation while in
motion? For me, that's prime 6-meter time if there's an opening. Again do we
really want to outlaw working "as many stations as possible?"

Wouldn't it make more sense -- if we were to permit activation of a given grid
only once -- to permit operation anywhere in that one grid until another grid
is activated? Those who have to traverse a grid repeatedly could then choose
whether to: a) not activate the second grid while temporarily transiting it,
or, b) activate the second grid, thus closing the book on the first grid.

Now, how does this stop grid circling? Your way: For 8 10-band "toolboxes,"
that would be 70 Qs, 196 Q-points and 4 mults per grid per toolbox. When
they're done playing musical grids, drive 120 nautical miles north or south and
repeat. If I were a betting man, I'd bet the farm that they would not bother
with VHF ever again, and the toolboxes would be scrapped.

My way: Since grid-circling would be prohibited, the circlers make zero Qs,
zero mults and zero points. Meanwhile the rest of us can "attempt to work as
many stations in as many grids AS POSSIBLE."

AND SO COULD THE GRID CIRCLERS! All they would have to do is go to good VHF
locations, set up and operate like any other rover. They would have to try to
work other stations besides their buddies in order to score. If they wanted to
maximize their enjoyment, they would start trying to stir up VHF interest in
the off-season.

All of us, ex-grid-circlers and "old-school" rovers could operate under the
same rules to maximize our efforts, such as working FM simplex locals while
driving to the next grid, stopping at multiple highpoints in a rare grid to
maximize its availability, etc.

My point is, that the grid circlers and 10 band toolboxes have great potential.
Like the terminals of a battery that potential can be positive or negative. The
positive advantages are plentiful -- ready-made rover stations can easily make
an assortment of needed grids available to "as many stations as possible."

All it takes to turn the perceived negative behavior of grid-circling into a
positive asset to the VHF weak signal community is a well-thought-out ruleset
that encourages positive activity. We CAN do it and not drive anybody away. And
maybe get more people hooked on our obscure end of a mysterious hobby to boot!

73 de Joe, W3BC