Re: [VHFcontesting] Explaining "the three simple rules" [was: Endorse Ro

To: w2ev@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Explaining "the three simple rules" [was: Endorse Rover Rules Revisions EXCEPT the 30 Q Limit
From: "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <ka5cvh@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:21:28 -0600
On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 15:12, Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A single grid touches 8 others (for a total of 9).  If I could move within a
> grid, I could "game" the system by travelling around a grid's perimeter,
> working "lunchbox" rovers.  The result is that there would be a reward for
> not really contacting lots of other stations.  Again...no other class of
> operation can do this.  Neither should Rovers be able to.

Mike asks

And why not ... I think the rules are quite simple the way they are.
It should not matter where in the grid I am at or ... how many times I
may move within the grid.  As long as I'm in this grid and you are in
that grid its a "Q".  Besides a grid only has four corners.  And
unless I told you how would you know what part of the grid I was in
since I only have to report four characters not six.  Even still I
could pick a six character sub that is in the middle of the grid and
you'd probably never know.

To be quite honest, Ev, I think your proposal is preposterous.  While
I respect that you have far more experience at roving since I've only
"played" at roving a few times and its been a number of years since.
I have not roved because of other commitments those week-ends in a
long time but it is something I would like to get back into.  This
proposal in my opinion would potentially punish me as much as those
you are trying to.  I am still convinced the way to handle this is
with class's and not some asinine 30/50 rule or only activate each
grid one time or other such nonsense.  What's the next progression ...
to prohibit you from working any other rover more than once or twice?

--
Mike Urich, KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com

If pro is opposite of con.