Re: [VHFcontesting] "Handing Out" radio rules/ethics

To: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>, VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] "Handing Out" radio rules/ethics
From: Tom Carney <tomc@carneysugai.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:12:04 -0700
> During my first ever rover trip, I was approached by local hams at three of
> the four stops that I made, including one that was pretty remote. In all
> cases, they recognized the loop Yagi's & microwave dishes as being a VHF/UHF
> rover and stopped to observe, ask questions, etc.
>
> I try never to miss a chance to recruit new VHF operators, so I tried to
> spend some time with each. I always asked if they had a mobile rig or HT with
> them. One did, but no antenna along. The others had no equipment with them.
> (Am I the only ham who things this is just plain wrong?)
>
> After the contest, I started thinking about the experience. It occurred to me
> that I had a perfectly good Kenwood TH-F6A in the truck that puts out five
> watts on 2, 440, and 222. Would it have been legal and/or ethical to simply
> "hand" them the radio and invite them to participate in the contest by
> working me on the spot? Carrying that logic one step further, what if I
> carried a 900mhz Kenwood HT converted to ham frequencies, or one of those new
> Alinco HT's with 1.2ghz FM? Or even better a Kenwood VX-8R which has 6M, 2M,
> 440, and 222.
>
> Instead of those hams being somewhat of a handicap (wasting valuable
> operating time answering questions) they could have been points in the
> contest. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thought of this, so forgive me
> if I'm wasting bandwidth rehashing old ground.
>
> As always, I appreciate the advice from the masters.

Hi Les

For some reason, this raises a red flag.  Can't remember the exact rule
but seem to remember a rover can't carry equipment that is used by some
one to contact the rover station.  Hopefully someone is familiar with
the rule and can help us out.

For sure, the radio could only be used under one call sign.  Except of
the family exception that's a general rule.

73,

Tom K6EU