Re: [VHFcontesting] "Handing Out" radio rules/ethics

To: "'VHF Contesting Reflector'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] "Handing Out" radio rules/ethics
From: "Mike Metroka" <VHFRover@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:53:14 -0500
Hi Les,
   No issue with you bringing along an extra handheld or mobile radio for a
visiting ham to use during a chance encounter while you are out roving.  The
rules do state that once equipment is used by one station, it cannot be used
by another station during the contest period (exception for the family
equipment rule).

So in short, the extra radio can only be used by one visitor netting only a
few points for you but boy, what a great way to get that visiting ham into
VHF contesting!
73
Mike WB8BZK/R

Les Rayburn wrote:
Would it have been legal and/or ethical to simply "hand" them the radio and
invite them to participate in the contest by working me on the spot?
Carrying that logic one step further, what if I carried a 900mhz Kenwood HT
converted to ham frequencies, or one of those new Alinco HT's with 1.2ghz
FM? Or even better a Kenwood VX-8R which has 6M, 2M, 440, and 222.