Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagi vs Moxon

To: "Dan Evans" <k9zf@yahoo.com>, "Rick R" <rick1ds@hotmail.com>, "vhf contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagi vs Moxon
From: "Walt Murphy" <n2wm@nj.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 13:40:40 -0400
All us old 6m AM Mobile Ops had either a Saturn 6 or the HyGain 2 ring Halo or at the end of AM days the Squalo.

If anyone finds a how to build a Saturn 6 instruction manual please pass along.

My Saturn 6 lost a battle with a low tree branch and 2-3 years later my HyGain due to op error met the overhead door of my garage.

               73  Walt    N2WM
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Evans" <k9zf@yahoo.com> To: "Rick R" <rick1ds@hotmail.com>; "vhf contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 9:09 PM

Correct.

Compact is the key. I have never felt comfortable driving with a full size yagi in place on the rover vehicle. It is wider than the vehicle... You can turn a 3 element 90 degrees offset, but this is annoying as well.

The folded ends of the moxon make it narrow enough to fit with the "foot print" of the vehicle, with only a small sacrifice in performance.

Works for me.

Who made the old 6m halo's with the three "rings"? I picked one up at a hamfest last weekend...

73
Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el