Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagi vs Moxon

To: Paul Kiesel <k7cw@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagi vs Moxon
From: Dan Evans <k9zf@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 19:29:45 -0700 (PDT)
You have a good point Paul.

Roving is often about compromises:-)  It usually comes down to your style of
Roving.  Some guys like to do it on the run making many short range QSO's on
the move.  For this, a loop or dipole may be enough.

Others, like I used to do, only activate a few grids, but try to make as many
QSO's as possible from each grid.  Often at long ranges, so some extra punch is
a big help.

Over the years I tried a lot of different 6m antennas.

A simple dipole:  It works.  Don't expect much range direct, and you won't
break any pileups during openings, but it works.

Square copper loop:  Pretty much on par with the dipole.  Mine worked
reasonably well, but was touchy about being close to other antennas.

3 elements yagis:   I used several different ones.  They work great and help
add a lot of punch, but are a pain to handle.

Moxons:   I've used a couple of home brew moxons, and now have the Par moxon.
 The performance is nearly as good as the 3 element yagi.  Much better than a
simple dipole.  And, the lighter weight and smaller foot print make it a lot
easier to handle.

But hey, if had the time and ability, I would take a 6M7 and a kilowatt...  :-)

73 & hope to hear everyone on in the CQ-VHF this weekend!
Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el