Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagi vs Moxon

To: Dan Evans <k9zf@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagi vs Moxon
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 16:09:57 -0500
Hello to everyone.....Having just returned from EL84, I can highly recommend that last choice. We had a 6M5XHP and a 6M7JHV up on the boat....they were about 20ft apart. The 6M7JHV was very noticeably quieter than the 5el. We made most all of our contacts with the 7el. I asked Matt at M2 if there could be any reason for this, but he did not have a definitive answer. Remember we were miles and miles away from any other human activity, so the noise we heard was 1)natural or 2)on the boat with us. I think that it was natural.....

We used an M2 6M1K2 amp for the entire trip except for the EME contacts.....there we used a Lunar-Link LA-62 with a DEMI preamp. I think that many rovers and some fixed stations just don't appreciate what having some power will do for your logs. KW amps are easy these days, so there is not much reason to be running around with 100W or 50W.

We used an M2 6M-1000 amp at DL88(unfortunately, only for a short time) and ran it off 4 large 13.6V batteries in series. We got 700W output--hour after hour. IF you worked up a circuit to charge those batteries when you were not transmitting, you could run 700-900W fairly easily.

73 Marshall K5QE