Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Proposal for a combined 10 Meter & 6 Meter Cont

To: "'Zack Widup'" <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>, "'VHF Contesting Reflector'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Proposal for a combined 10 Meter & 6 Meter Contest
From: "Dan Evans" <dan.evans@insightbb.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 19:04:14 -0400
I agree with most everyone else, a 10 & 6 meter contest would be fun!

Given a few points such as:

1.      A new contest, don't take away from any of the existing contests VHF
or HF...
2.      Use VHF contest general rules.  QSO's X Grids, etc...
3.      I agree that E'skip season would be ideal, but, it may be a bit
tough to schedule.  Between spring sprints, June VHF, Field Day, CQ-VHF,
IARU HF,        it's a busy season.  I'm not sure where to squeeze it in.

Zack is right, it will be another challenge for Rovers.  Before I got into
VHF contest Roving, I used to do several of the HF contests as a portable,
10 meter only.  The 102" whip will work well, particularly from a good
hilltop.  One of my best contests was done from a local hilltop using a
homebrew "bigfoot" mast support, 12' of mast, and an Antron 99 tuned for 10
meters.  The rig was an HTX-100 with about 25 watts out :-)  Of course, this
was back in the early 90's when 10 was pretty hot.

Today, I would likely use my VHF Rover setup with the pickup truck and push
up mast.  With the Moxon for 6 meters, and a 102" whip at the top of the
mast.

73
Dan
--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el