Re: [WriteLog] Start Sending Now feature in Writelog

To: ad6e@inreach.com, writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Start Sending Now feature in Writelog
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:37:48 -0700 (PDT)
--- ad6e@inreach.com wrote:

> OK, I know I'm not the super hot shot, but I really don't understand why
> you would want to start sending before getting the whole call sign.

Some people are slow typists.  Here's a scenario:

- you call CQ
- guy calls you
- you slowly type in his callsign
- you hit INS or whatever to send the report

Now in the mean time, there was a pause between when the station finished
sending his call and you started to send the report.  During that pause, the
caller decided that you didn't hear him the first time, and wants to call
again.  So s/he sends starts sending his call AT THE SAME TIME you are start to
send his report.

You've doubled, and it will take another go-round (or two) to get this
straightened out.

Instead, send what you've got as soon as the caller stops sending, and backfill
while the report is going out.  You'll eliminate the pause and possible
confusion, and you'll work the guy faster, which benefits BOTH of you.

I use this feature in CT and it REALLY helps to keep the rate up.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us