Re: Topband: FCP vs Gull Wing Elevated Radials

To: topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP vs Gull Wing Elevated Radials
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 14:02:07 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Mark,

I suspect the current -- and hence the radiation -- from the bottom of
the vertical radiator is somewhat suppressed by proximity to gull wing
radials.

When I first installed a 160 vertical using two gull-wing resonant
radials eight feet high I had to increase height of the vertical radiator
to achieve resonance at 1830 kHz. I had to shorten the radiator to
the classic length w hen I later replaced the gull wing radials with sixty
120 foot radials laid on the ground.

A little work in EZNEC would shed some light on this.

73
Frank
W3LPL