Re: Topband: FCP vs Gull Wing Elevated Radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP vs Gull Wing Elevated Radials
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 12:01:06 -0700
Personally, I would and do, avoid a FCP antenna.  W8JI has done some analysis on these and I value his insight. http://www.w8ji.com/fcp_folded_counterpoise_system.htm There is simply too much handwaving going on to suit me.

As to gull wing radials, Rudy Severns has looked at these too: https://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/files/antenna_ground_system_experiment_5.pdf Rudy's work is a treasure trove and I think I have everything he's written in a folder on my hard drive.  Believe me, considering how difficult it is to lay radials in my cactus patch, if I thought gull wings would be useful I would have used them.  I don't.

Based on these and other resources, personal modeling and experiment and physical constraints, I opted for a ground-mounted 55' vertical, Inverted-L fed against 18 (so far) 55' insulated, on-the-ground radials.  By serendipity the radials are resonant at about 1.85 MHz although that was not a design goal. Instead, I chose radial length be the same as the vertical height and I could get nine, 55' radials out of a 500' spool of wire with negligible waste.

Wes  N7WS