Re: Topband: FCP vs Gull Wing Elevated Radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP vs Gull Wing Elevated Radials
From: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 21:33:56 -0500
K2AV said:
"Measured resonance of a fixed length gave us velocity factor (VF) and other data. VF's based on those measurements ranged from 45% to 85%. That huge variability certainly explained the BOG experience, and suggested a solution, but that's another subject."

When I did those tests at my house the velocity factor of a dipole on the ground was usually about 65% but many times there was no resonance at all, so no way to calculate velocity factor. Total impedance was usually 400 to 600 ohms but resistance and reactance were all over the place. That dipole was tested on the ground at various times over a one month period and never moved. I can only guess that must have been due to variations in ground moisture content.

I was also trying to use that data to help explain BOG performance, but I didn't have much success.

Jerry, K4SAV