Re: Topband: FCP vs Gull Wing Elevated Radials

To: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP vs Gull Wing Elevated Radials
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 12:37:27 -0700

On 7/25/2019 12:01 PM, Wes wrote:

As to gull wing radials, Rudy Severns has looked at these too: https://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/files/antenna_ground_system_experiment_5.pdf Rudy's work is a treasure trove and I think I have everything he's written in a folder on my hard drive.  Believe me, considering how difficult it is to lay radials in my cactus patch, if I thought gull wings would be useful I would have used them.  I don't.

Rudy shows gull wing down only 0.65 dB and comments that "radically
changing the radial geometry does not seem to have a major impact".
So I don't understand your remark that gull wings are not useful.
The reduction in drive impedance can be mitigated by increasing the
height by about 3 feet.  I don't even have cactus but would never again
run radials on the ground now that Rudy has educated us.

Rick N6RK